CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jogamel

28th April 2024, 12:15
Thank you everyone. Have I met my Waterloo?
11 of 51  -   Report This Post

sloth

28th April 2024, 12:27
Thanks to a few pointers on the forum I now have a full grid, three of the thematics and the theme word highlighted. Can anyone give me a hint on the two long shaded answers? I expect I'll hava a medley of songs I don't like going round my head for the rest of the day!
12 of 51  -   Report This Post

ozzy

28th April 2024, 12:39
Sloth, the top one is three different slang synonyms for the same word in a 3-word title. The bottom one is a 5-word title represented as a 2-word expression inside a synonym for the second word of the title.
13 of 51  -   Report This Post

graham9perkins

28th April 2024, 13:46
Thanks Izzy, I got almost everything else but that top line flummoxed me as I had a mistake in 5d. I suspected the theme from the title but had to solve quite a lot before confirming it. Still a bit stuck on that second across item (4 letters). I know the letters, and can find three items that might fit, all rather tenuously.
14 of 51  -   Report This Post

ozzy

28th April 2024, 14:35
That entry parses as 1, 2, 1, and it cryptically indicated a 3-word title.
15 of 51  -   Report This Post

sloth

28th April 2024, 16:27
Thanks Ozzy, I can think of at least two such three-word titles but that at least gives me a clue!
16 of 51  -   Report This Post

thom

28th April 2024, 16:43
This one's given me a real headache. I have mostly a full grid and the first three words of 'the instructions', at which point the gibberish sets in (and none of the crossers seem to make a lick of sense so far).

Any hints for 21D (Commanding general no longer to become chief in emergency) and 6D (ordered one blue wavy moulding) would be appreciated please!
17 of 51  -   Report This Post

krauton

28th April 2024, 17:03
6d anagram of one blue extra letter o.
Definition wavy moulding.
There is initially an empty cell in the grid entry
21D Cant parse this one extra letter g.
Definition emergency.
There is initially an empty cell in the grid entry
18 of 51  -   Report This Post

graham9perkins

28th April 2024, 17:27
Thom, in 21D the first two words indicate single letters, then “no longer” indicates an archaic word for the next two words. Finish with abbreviation for chief, remove a letter, and you should have a word that can be defined as “emergency”.
19 of 51  -   Report This Post

thom

28th April 2024, 17:30
Thanks to you and Krauton!

Teeny clue on 3D please? I have *I*ER*

20 of 51  -   Report This Post